Recipe makes approximately 12 large carrot muffins or 20 small carrot muffins
280g (10oz) Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
2 teaspoons Mixed Spice or Ground Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon Salt
90ml (3 fl oz) Milk
110g (4oz) Light Brown Soft Sugar
340g (12oz) Carrot, grated
85g (3oz) Low Fat Butter
85g (3oz) Sultanas
- Line the muffin tins with muffin cases
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/6, 375-400 F, 190-200C for a conventional oven.
- Sift the following dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir: flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and mixed spice or cinnamon.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Lightly whisk the egg with a fork in a separate bowl from the dry ingredients, stir in grated carrot, add the milk, and finally sugar, stir well.
- Add all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir together, but do not over stir, just until you cannot see any dry ingredients and finally stir in the sultanas.
- Put the mixture in the Muffin cases filling them to ¾ full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Place a metal skewer in the middle of one and if it comes out clean they are baked, if not place back in the oven for a few more minutes.
These muffins freeze very well. Once cold place in a sealed container and place in freezer, they only take about an hour to defrost.