Makes 12 Banana Muffins
280g (10oz) Plain Flour
110g (4oz) Demerara Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
¼ Teaspoon Salt
3 Large well-ripened Bananas roughly 450g when peeled and mashed
90ml (3 fl oz) Skimmed Milk
85g (3oz) Melted Butter
85g (3oz) Sultanas or Plain Chocolate Chips (Optional)
- Line the muffin tins with muffin cases
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/6, 375-400 F, 190-200C for a conventional oven.
- Sift the following dry ingredients into a large bowl and stir: flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Lightly whisk the egg with a fork in a separate bowl from the dry ingredients, add the milk, mashed banana, sugar, butter and finally sultanas, stir well.
- Add all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir together, but do not over stir, just until you cannot see any dry ingredients.
- Put the mixture in the Muffin cases filling them to ¾ full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Place a metal skewer in the middle of one and if it comes out clean they are baked, if not place back in the oven for a few more minutes.
- These muffins freeze very well. Once cold place in a sealed container and place in freezer, they only take about an hour to defrost.
As demonstrated by my 3 year old son